FERTILIZER DUST CONTROL COATINGS
Dry fertilizers are inherently dusty products. During fertilizer production, storage, transport and use there is often significant generation of dust as particles degrade. Handling and application equipment can cause breakage, while temperature and humidity swings can cause a loss of granule integrity even while fertilizer is in storage. In some cases, imperfect production processes can result in overly fragile fertilizer which tends to partially deteriorate into dust at any given stage in the fertilizer process.
Not only is there a loss of valuable product as dust drifts away from its intended location, but dust also creates significant air quality issues. To combat this problem, dust control coatings have long been applied to fertilizers at various stages between production and application.
Appropriate fertilizer dust control coatings must:
- Provide robust, long-lasting dust control
- Be relatively easy to apply to dry fertilizer in a typical operation
- Have minimal impact on the flowability of the treated fertilizer
- Be made of ingredients suitable for safe use in the facilities where they are applied as well as for all downstream uses and applications including agriculture
- Not undermine the treated fertilizer’s ability to comply with applicable regulatory requirements
- Enhance the treated fertilizer’s marketability
- Be economical.
ArrMaz offers a broad range of fertilizer dust control coatings in its DUSTROL® and GALORYL® product lines which meet all of the requirements identified above. Coatings in these lines can contribute additional benefits to the fertilizer of caking control and/or coloration. ArrMaz’s DUSTROL® and GALORYL® product lines can help fertilizer producers and those that handle fertilizer meet their environmental, health and safety goals. When a supplier can go to market with an appropriately treated fertilizer product, they will realize the full market value for their product while minimizing the potential for quality claims. ArrMaz will help you select the best DUSTROL® or GALORYL® dust control coating and design an optimal coating application system to meet your fertilizer dust control needs.